It's Sea Turtle Season on Siesta Key!It is very important that everyone does their part to keep Sea Turtle nests safe. The Sea Turtle Season goes from May 1st - October 31st in 2017 on Siesta Key. Please respect the laws and guidelines to make sure you don't harm these beautiful creatures!
Mote Marine monitors 35 miles of beaches from Longboat Key to Venice. Here are some tips and guidelines you should always follow when at Sea Turtle nesting beaches.
- Keep lights on the beach off during dark hours. These can disorient female Sea Turtles as well as hatchlings trying to escape to the Gulf waves.
- Be careful when boating! These creatures are more likely to be swimming in boating areas during these months of the year!
- Take all beach furniture off the beach overnight. These items can impede Sea Turtles and are not allowed during dark hours.
- Please pick up your trash! This is a year around tip. Please keep our beaches, waterways and shores clean!
- Observe nesting Sea Turtles and nests from a distance of at least 10 feet.
- Do not use flashlights or fishing lamps on the beach.
- Wear polarized sunglasses to help you see Sea Turtles in the water better when driving a boat.
- Do not bother Sea Turtles if you encounter them in a kayak or on a SUP board.
If you want to report issues of tampering or harassing Sea Turtles or their nests please contact Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) at (888) 404-3922.
Sea Turtles are protected under federal law. ANY harassment or interference with a Sea Turtle, living or dead, is subject to penalty!
Help us protect these peaceful creatures for future generations by following the rules and picking up your trash!
Please consider donating to Mote Marine's Sea Turtle Conservation department to help save these beautiful animals!
Siesta Key & Sarasota Blogs:
Siesta Beach Guide
100 Amazing Things to Do In Sarasota
9 Must Haves on a Sarasota Florida Vacation
Is a Dolphin Experience on Your Bucket List?
7 Offbeat Attractions You Have to Visit in Sarasota Florida
Daily Drink Specials in Siesta Key Village
The Perfect Sarasota Day
Don't Forget These Items on Your Siesta Key Vacation!
Siesta Key Village Food Guide
5 Ways to Get to Siesta Key from Tampa International Airport
Spring Break on Siesta Key A to Z
Birding in Sarasota Florida
Visit Sarasota is The Ultimate Travel Guide to Sarasota County
Discover Siesta Key with The Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce
Captain Jim's Siesta Key Fishing Report
In The Beach Club
How to Get Married on Siesta Beach
Shopping on Siesta Key
Long Walks on Siesta Beach
Simple Fun Beach Games for Kids